putting people in boxes

The story about the girl who couldn't play soccer reminds me of the wonderful movie "Billy Elliot", about a little boy in the north of England, a coal-miner's son, who likes ballet better than boxing . . . and everybody knows only "poofters" like ballet. Everybody who wants to put their children in gender boxes should see that movie.

Which reminds me that just yesterday I was remembering a book I read as a child, a horse-novel called "Sidesaddle for Dandy", in which the vigorous 19th century tomboy of the title is dragooned into skirts and a side-saddle when she reaches an age where riding astride is "indelicate".

Valerie