[Emeriti-faculty] Position requests

Friends,

I’m sorry to inform you that our faculty position requests for next year were not approved.

I will try to learn more from the Deans, but my current understanding is not that there was anything lacking in our requests or justifications.  Due to financial constraints in A&S very few tenure-track searches were approved this year.  Where there were 13 in AY 11-12, only 8 or 9 were approved for AY 12-13. Three of those were committed to the cluster hires in Race & Ethnicity, and there were other departments that were in dire straits due to recent deaths and retirements.  Only about 1/3 of requests were approved.

Nevertheless it’s disturbing to have another year without hiring in the face of the clear needs we’ve identified and the likelihood that they will only become more urgent in the next few years.  I continue to make that case at every opportunity and encourage you to do the same.

Roger

Roger Tobin

Professor and Chair

Department of Physics and Astronomy