[Emeriti-faculty] Reminders

Friends,

A couple of reminders:

n  Brown-bag conversation about teaching:  Friday March 30 (tomorrow), 12-1 pm, Robinson 258.  We resume our biweekly schedule, with an offset due to spring break.

n  Department meeting with President Monaco:  Monday, April 2, 12-1:15 pm, Robinson 251.  Attached is a two-page info sheet that I have provided to Tony to let him know a little bit about who we are and what we do. I plan to open the meeting by giving a quick overview of the department. Then Alex, Anna, Peggy and Tony will give brief introductions to the department’s four major research areas. Hopefully he will have some questions or reactions, but we should also have in mind questions for him.  Keep in mind that from his perspective a department is a very small unit of analysis, so we should avoid seeming too parochial. Questions posed at a higher level are more likely to be productive – things like how he sees the role of graduate education, the balance between discipline-specific vs. interdisciplinary, or fundamental vs. applied scholarship; his priorities for fund-raising; how he sees the balance between the educational and research missions. It’s possible that he will come with things he wants to tell or ask us, but I rather doubt it. My sense is that he views these visits more as a listening tour, so please come prepared to be an active participant.

n  We will also have department meetings on Monday April 9 and Monday April 23, and if necessary on April 30.

Roger

Roger Tobin

Professor and Chair

Department of Physics and Astronomy