[Emeriti-faculty] Colloquium tomorrow 3pm

Dear Physics Faculty,

We are delighted to welcome Prof. Christian Santangelo tomorrow from UMass
Amherst. His talk title and abstract is attached below. Could anyone
interested in joining us for lunch or an early (5pm) dinner please let me
know…

Tim Atherton

-------
"Building shapes from sheets"

Christian Santangelo

Despite their everyday familiarity, thin sheets (paper, plastic, fabric,
etc.) display remarkable and complex behaviors that still challenge
theoretical description. The intricate coupling between the geometry of
surfaces and the elasticity of a thin sheet necessarily leads to the
formation of singularities, nonlinear elasticity, and geometric
frustration. Nevertheless, multicellular organisms - like you - develop
their three dimensional structures in part by exploiting these elastic
phenomena. These considerations have led us to develop theoretical and
experimental tools to shape elastic sheets into prescribed 3D shapes using
the principles of non-Euclidean geometry. I will describe our attempts to
design sheets that fold controllably into 3D structures and some related
problems in the mechanics of origami, where 3D structure is developed by
folding a piece of paper. These techniques open up new avenues in
"experimental mathematics", allowing us to explore geometry
experimentally. So far, however, no mathematical theorems have been harmed
in the production of this research.