[Emeriti-faculty] colloquium speaker this friday

Hi,

Our colloquium speaker this Friday is Stephane Courteau from Queen's
University.
Here are the title/abstract of his presentation:

Puzzles in Galaxy Scaling Relations

Galaxies can be described in terms of their structure, dynamics
and stellar populations.  Some very robust correlations between
various galaxy structural properties, such as total luminosity,
maximum circular velocity, and size have been known for many
decades yet still lack a theoretical explanation!  A fundamental
challenge to understanding these scaling relations, and ultimately
galaxy formation and evolution, is the elusive interplay between
visible and dark matter.  I will discuss the latest derivations
of galaxy scaling relations and our attempts to understand them.

Please let me know if you are interested in meeting with Stephane
separately. Also let me know if
you would like to join us for dinner Friday night. We will go to Sabur on
Teele Square.

http://www.saburrestaurant.com/index.html

Cheers,
Anna