[Emeriti-faculty] Friday colloquium reminder

Hello -

A reminder that we'll have a colloquium tomorrow at 3:00 (coffee/cookies beforehand) in STC 136.

Our speaker is Prof. Mark Messier of the University of Indiana, who will be telling us about the NOvA experiment at Fermilab. NOvA is the largest neutrino experiment in the U.S. at the moment, and Mark is the spokesman. He's an excellent speaker and will give a broadly accessible talk.

I hope to see you there!

Abstract: The observation of neutrino mass and mixing has provided the
first evidence for physics beyond the Standard Model in the laboratory and
there is currently a world-wide program underway to better elucidate the
nature of the neutrino. The NOvA experiment, currently under construction
in northern Minnesota and set to begin data taking in 2013, will play an
important role in this program uniquely providing information on the
neutrino mass hierarchy and the neutrino charge-partity violating phase
through studies of muon to electron neutrino oscillations and muon to
electron antineutrino oscillations. Starting from a general introduction
to neutrinos and the role they play in particle physics and cosmology I
will outline the major questions still surrounding neutrinos, highlight
the impact data from NOvA will have on these questions, and update the
construction progress of the experiment.

Cheers,
Hugh