[Emeriti-faculty] Grad learning objectives

Friends,

On closer inspection, Peggy points out that there was some inconsistency in our wording of the point relating to basic coursework for the three degrees – we seemed to be holding MS students to a higher standard than PhD students, and we don’t actually require that MS students in either degree track take Stat. Mech. I suggest the following revised wording:

For both MS tracks:

3. Deep understanding in fundamental areas of physics, including:

Classical Mechanics
Electricity and Magnetism
Quantum Mechanics

 For the Ph.D.:

  1. Deep understanding and proficiency in the fundamental fields of classical and quantum physics:

Classical Mechanics
Electricity and Magnetism
Quantum Mechanics
Statistical and Thermal Physics

“Proficiency” is the term used in our current PhD requirements to indicate the level represented by either the A- average or written examination that we require.

Please let me know if you have objections or comments either about this rephrasing or any other aspect of the objectives.

If I hear none, I will take this change as approved.

Roger

Roger Tobin

Professor and Chair

Department of Physics and Astronomy