[Emeriti-faculty] Graduate Learning Objectives

Friends,

Here are the learning objectives for our graduate degree programs as agreed upon at the faculty meeting yesterday.

I left item 6 under the Ph.D. as “Professional skills …” – if you imagine all the objectives prefaced with something like “The graduate should possess …”, they all make sense, so I think the language is parallel enough. If you feel strongly otherwise, please suggest alternate wording.

Roger

Department of Physics and Astronomy

Learning Objectives of the Graduate Program

Adopted September 26, 2011

Master of Science -- Coursework

  1. Ability to use advanced mathematics to model, describe and analyze physical phenomena.
  2. Ability to apply scientific concepts and principles.
  3. Deep understanding and proficiency in the fundamental areas of physics:

    Classical Mechanics
    Electricity and Magnetism
    Quantum Mechanics
    Thermal Physics

Master of Science – Thesis

  1. Ability to use advanced mathematics to model, describe and analyze physical phenomena.
  2. Ability to apply scientific concepts and principles.
  3. Deep understanding and proficiency in the fundamental areas of physics:

    Classical Mechanics
    Electricity and Magnetism
    Quantum Mechanics
  4. Ability to carry out original research.
  5. Ability to communicate scientific ideas and results effectively, orally and in writing, to professional colleagues.

Doctor of Philosophy

  1. Proficiency in the fundamental fields of classical and quantum physics:

Classical Mechanics
Electricity and Magnetism
Quantum Mechanics
Thermal Physics

  1. Deep understanding of a selected specialized area of physics or astrophysics, including the tools and techniques of research in the field.
  2. Familiarity with the fundamental phenomena, concepts and methods of at least one other area outside of the student’s field of specialization.
  3. Ability to carry out independent, original research.
  4. Ability to communicate scientific ideas and results effectively, orally and in writing, to professional colleagues.

6.      Professional skills such as problem-solving, technical writing, collaborating and teaching.

Roger Tobin

Professor and Chair

Department of Physics and Astronomy

Tufts University