From: "Chen, Jessica" <Jessica Chen tufts edu>
Subject: NewForm: AgreementonOwnershipofIntellectualProperty
To: "medfordcampusfundingopportunities elist tufts edu"
        <medfordcampusfundingopportunities elist tufts edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 16:06:19 +0000

Dear Faculty and Staff,

This message alerts you to the new form, Â?Agreement on Ownership of
Intellectual PropertyÂ?, now required to be signed by all faculty and
staff. This new requirement is in effect immediately.

Background: The Supreme CourtÂ?s recent decision on Board of Trustees of
the Leland Stanford Junior University v. Roche Molecular Systems, Inc.
held that intellectual property rights arising from federally funded
research do not automatically vest with the university receiving such
funds.  To protect TuftsÂ? interest in innovations created at the
university, we are now requiring that members of the Tufts community Â?
faculty, post-docs, graduate students, and staff Â? sign an agreement
which affirmatively assigns to Tufts all rights in intellectual property
created in whole or in part through use of university funding or other
resources. Please consult http://viceprovost.tufts.edu/?pid=6&c=6 for
further information on Tufts policy of rights and responsibilities with
respect to intellectual property.

Process: The Agreement must be signed by each researcher at Tufts and will
be binding for the duration of the researcherÂ?s Tufts appointment. The
Office of Research Administration (ORA) will confirm whether there is a
signed form on file for each investigator at the time they submit an
application for funding. Signed forms will be retained by the Office of
Technology Licensing & Industry Collaboration (OTL&IC) and can be sent
there directly by the investigator or by ORA, if requested/  at time of
proposal submission.  Investigators may access the Â?Agreement on
Ownership of Intellectual PropertyÂ? at
http://researchadmin.tufts.edu/?pid=18&c=12 under University-wide forms.

Human Resources will require new employees and post-doctoral fellows to
sign this Agreement at the time they are hired.  Some post-doctoral
fellows will be required to sign the Agreement by their deans or
department heads.

Questions about the Agreement should be addressed to OTL&IC
(techtransfer.tufts.edu). Questions about the process for signing the form
should be addressed to the Associate Director of Research Administration
responsible for processing your proposal submissions.

Sincerely,

Nina Green, Director, Office of Technology Licensing & Industry
Collaboration
Christine Woodroffe, Senior Associate Director, Research Administration
(Medford)
Zoya Hamilton, Senior Associate Director, Research Administration
(Boston/Grafton)