Re: [Emeriti-faculty] Changes in STC Office Operations

Roger,

I am a bit surprised, frankly. I think the office was functioning very
well in the past and, I believe, part of its success was because of a
considerable amount of flexibility and informality in the mode that it was
allowed to operate. The most important matter was always making travel
arrangements, and here the flexibility of being able to come either to
Jackie or to Jean, depending on who was in the office on a given day was
essential for the office to work as well as it did. I am afraid that your
much more rigid arrangement will invariably lead to situations in which
I'll be just booking the flights all by myself to avoid any time delays. I
think that you travel much less than many in the particle physics group
and simply may not be aware of how big a difference a few hours of an
unnecessary time delay can make for the plane ticket prices. In your new
proposal, the delays could be measured in days. I think that you are
creating more problems than solving any by introducing a very formal
division of Jackie and Jean's responsibilities vis a vis our possible
needs. Maybe you should rethink the proposed changes and, possibly,
consult with all parties involved before declaring a reorganization?
with regards
Krzysztof