[Emeriti-faculty] Faculty requests

Friends,

I’ve heard from the Deans that they are not approving either of our requests for new faculty positions for next year.

The main factors were out of our control:  Many departments that had not had searches in recent years were overdue, and in general departments that got two positions last year (e.g. Bio, Math) did not get positions this year.  Only about 1/3 of requests in A&S were approved.

I did get the message, however, that we didn’t help our case by failing to prioritize the requests. This year it might not have made any difference, given the other factors, but for next year it will be crucial that we make the hard decisions rather than kicking them upstairs.

Roger

Roger Tobin

Professor and Chair

Department of Physics and Astronomy