[Emeriti-faculty] Meeting with Prof. Johnson this Friday

Dear colleagues,

Please let me know if you would like to meet with Prof. Johnson, the
colloquium speaker this Friday and learn more about his adventures in
nanosience (abstract/title below). Thanks,

Adventures in Nanoscience: Biomimetic Chemical Sensors and DNA
Translocation through Graphene Nanopores
Prof. A.T. Charlie Johnson
Department of Physics and Astronomy, Univ. of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia,
PA

Advances in synthesis and understanding of nanomaterials and the potent
molecular machines of living organisms offer pathways to explore new
frontiers at the interface of condensed matter physics and biophysics. We
have recently focused on combinations of carbon nanomaterials, i.e.,
nanotubes (NT) and graphene, with single-stranded DNA or proteins.
All-electronic vapor sensors can be made, where the biomolecule provides
chemical recognition, and a nanotube or graphene transistor is used for
electronic readout. Non-covalent functionalization of NT or graphene
devices is achieved through self-assembly of single-stranded DNA
monolayers. The electrical conductance of the device shows a strong and
reproducible response when exposed to odor-containing vapors, and this
response is controlled by the base sequence of the DNA. The properties of
these devices make them intriguing candidates for use in an “electronic
nose” system whose architecture is inspired by that of the mammalian
olfactory system. We have studied the structure, dynamics, and
thermodynamics of this system using all-atom molecular dynamics
simulations.
In a separate set of experiments we created a nanoelectronic interface to
olfactory receptor proteins (ORs) that were embedded in synthetic
nanoscale cell membrane analogues. Olfactory receptor proteins (ORs) are
the most numerous class of G-protein coupled receptors (GPCRs), a large
family of membrane proteins whose roles in the detection of molecules
outside eukaryotic cells and initiation of cascades of intracellular
devices transduce signals associated with odorant binding to ORs under
ambient conditions and show responses that are in excellent agreement with
results from established assays for OR-ligand binding.  The work
represents significant progress on a path towards an electronic nose that
can be directly compared to biological olfactory systems as well as a
general method for the study of GPCR function in multiple domains using
electronic readout.
Finally, we report on DNA translocations through nanopores created in
graphene membranes, an approach that may find application in DNA
sequencing. Due to the thin nature of the graphene membranes, we observe
larger blocked currents than for traditional solid-state nanopores. Ionic
current noise levels are several orders of magnitude larger than those for
silicon nitride nanopores, but can be reduced by application of a thin
TIO2 layer. In contrast to traditional solid-state nanopore materials that
are insulating, graphene is an excellent electrical conductor. Use of
graphene as a membrane material opens the door to a new class of nanopore
devices in which electronic sensing and control are performed directly at
the pore.

Cristian Staii
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Tufts University,
Science and Technology (STC) Center, Room 209
Medford, MA 02155 USA
Phone: 617-627-5368

email: Cristian Staii tufts edu
https://wikis.uit.tufts.edu/confluence/display/CristianStaiiTuftsUniversity/Home