[Emeriti-faculty] Meeting 3/28: Position requests

Friends,

The agenda for our next faculty meeting, on Monday March 28, will be to
discuss and, I hope, decide on our priorities for faculty position
requests.  Please give the matter some thought, talk with your colleagues,
and come prepared to make the case for your priorities.  Keep in mind that
simply replacing a past or expected retirement is not in and of itself a
strong argument; we need to base our requests on programmatic needs or
opportunities and on the department's long-range goals.

For your reference I am attaching the Department's 2007 Long-Range Plan
and the report of the External Review committee from that same year.

The subsequent meeting, on April 11, will be devoted to the annual review
of graduate student progress. Over the next couple of weeks graduate
students should be meeting with their advisors to review their progress
and fill out their progress reports.

Roger

Roger G. Tobin
Professor and Department Chair