[Emeriti-faculty] DEPARTMENT EVENTS FOR WEEK OF OCTOBER 18. 2010

 Good Afternoon:

Events for week of October 18, 2010 are as follows:

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Noon
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Society of Physics Students (SPS)
Robinson 251
Talk for EPIIC students
The EPIIC course this year is focusing on the policy and potential political and global issues surrounding nuclear weapons and the students in the course are looking for a way to learn a little more about the science behind the weapons
Pizza and soda provided

Thursday, October 21, 2010
1:30 pm
Lunchtime Cosmology Seminar
Robinson Hall, Room 250
Eray Sabancilar
Tufts University
"Neutrino Bursts from Cosmic Strings via Modulus Radiation "
Friday, October 22, 2010

1:00 pm
Friday , October 22, 2010
Astro-coffee Discussion
Robinson 251
Questions and Answers with Mauro Giavalisco
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Coffee available

3:00 pm
Friday, October 22, 2010
Science & Technology Center, Room 136
4 Colby St., Medford Campus
TUFTS UNIVERSITY
Physics and Astronomy Colloquium
“Probing Galaxy Evolution During The First 20% Of The Cosmic Time"
Mauro Giavalisco
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Observations of ever increasing sensitivity, resolution and wavelength coverage are probing the physical properties of galaxies across 95% of the cosmic time. This is allowing us to test our fundamental ideas on the physical mechanisms behind galaxy formation and evolution, which are also deeply entwined with cosmology. In this talk I will review some outstanding open questions and some recent observational works on galaxies at high redshift, e.g. z>2 (fractional cosmic look-back time of 80% and higher) and their implications on how the primary Hubble types, i.e. the spirals and ellipticals observed in the local universe, formed. I will also discuss observations of galaxies at the highest redshift currently reached by the observations, i.e. z~7 (i.e. at just about 5% of the cosmic time), and what they are telling us about the onset of galaxy formation as a whole and about the so-called cosmic re-ionization. I will conclude reviewing how upcoming observational facilities, such as large-aperture space telescopes, the next generation of 30-meter ground-based telescopes and the next generation of millimeter-wavelength observatories, will bring forward progress.
Refreshments served at 2:30 in STC, Room 124.