[Emeriti-faculty] Honoring one of our students: Fri. Oct. 22

Friends,

As most of you know, one of our majors, Lauren Wielgus, is this year's recipient of an Astronaut Scholarship. This is a very prestigious national award and a major honor for Lauren and for our department.

There will be an event to honor Lauren on Friday Oct. 22, 11:30 - 1:00 pm in the Coolidge Room, Ballou Hall 2nd Floor.  Shuttle astronaut and Tufts Physics-Astronomy graduate Rick Hauck will speak for about 20 minutes about his astronaut career and present Lauren with her scholarship check.  Following this brief ceremony there will be a lunch.

It is important that our department be well represented at this event, both to show our support of and pride in Lauren (and Rick) and to show institutional support and appreciation for the Astronaut Scholarship program, which has benefited our students in the past and is likely to continue to do so. Please plan on being there if at all possible, and encourage students to attend as well -- especially our majors and others who know Lauren, but also anyone who'd be interested in hearing from a Tufts grad who went on to command the space shuttle.

Roger Tobin

begin:vcard
fn:Roger G. Tobin
n:Tobin;Roger G.
org:Tufts University;Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
adr;dom:;;4 Colby St.;Medford;MA;02155
email;internet:roger tobin tufts edu
title:Professor and Department Chair
tel;work:617-627-5461