[Emeriti-faculty] [Fwd: Please forward the all members of the physics department]

--- Begin Message ---
You are invited to a Special Mathematics  Seminar:

``Hamiltonian-based quantum computing for low-rank matrices''

Alexander Elgart
Virginia Tech

Thursday, May 6
3:30pm
Bromfield-Pearson Building, Room 101

Abstract: I will discuss a quantum evolution of the system where
the problem Hamiltonian is of small rank. The positive results that
we obtain in the idealized setting provide fairly tight upper and
lower bounds on the running time for such models. The negative
result shows that for a robust adiabatic computational device there
is basically no speedup in using adiabatic quantum computing for
this class of models. Our algorithms can be used to solve the
unstructured search problem with the unknown number of marked
items. This is a joint work with Zhenwei Cao.

The schedule of talks is at http://math.tufts.edu/?pid=49&c=27

--- End Message ---