[Emeriti-faculty] Eliminating the no-lab option

Dear Physics Dept faculty -

The Physics Curriculum Committee (Roger, Austin, Ken, Hugh and myself) has voted unanimously to eliminate the no-lab option for Phys 1,2,11, and 12

Basis:
  i)  affects small fraction of students - ca. 7-8 per course
  ii) allows for examining lab content
 iii) students with lab get no extra credit
  iv) grading unfair between lab and no lab -- no lab grade is a bit contrived
  v) vast majority of freshman courses that I (LG) see for transfer of credit don't have a no-lab option

    Please reply to me by January 21, 2010 to let me know your stand on the elimination.
    If there are no serious objections that would warrant discussion at a dept meeting,
I will go ahead and remove the courses.

Leon Gunther

Tufts University
Department of Physics and Astronomy