Lunch with Dr. Patrick McDonald in Robinson 251.  All Graduate students
and interested undergraduates should attend this informal event.  Pizza
and soda will be provided.

Friday, January 30, 2009
3:00 pm
Anderson Hall, Room 206

TUFTS UNIVERSITY
Special Physics and Astronomy Colloquium

?Precision Large-Scale Structure ? Theory and Surveys?

Patrick McDonald
University of Toronto

We have only scratched the surface of the potential for using
large-scale structure (LSS) as a probe of fundamental physics/cosmology
-- we have only measured a fraction of a percent of the accessible LSS
information.  Future measurements will probe dark energy, inflation,
dark matter properties, neutrino masses, modifications of gravity, etc.
with unprecedented precision.  I will discuss three probes of LSS: the
traditional galaxy redshift survey, the Lyman-alpha forest (LyaF), and
the new idea of 21 cm intensity mapping; and two experiments I am
involved with that cover these probes: SDSS-III/BOSS (galaxies and
LyaF) and the proposed CHIME (21 cm).

I will discuss three specific ways to use LSS: measurements of the
Baryonic Acoustic Oscillation (BAO) distance scale, redshift-space
distortions, and galaxy bias as it relates to non-Gaussianity of the
primordial perturbations.

Refreshments served in Knipp Library, Robinson 250, at 2:30 pm.