[Emeriti-faculty] Department events for week of 10/27/08

Good morning:

Seminars and colloquiums for the week of 10/27/08 are listed below.

Monday, October 27, 2008
Robinson Hall 250, 5:00 pm
Physics Graduate Students=92
JOURNAL CLUB
Qian Ma
=93Characterization of Lamellae by SAXS"
(undergraduate students, faculty and anyone interested are also invited: food served at 4:30 pm in Knipp Library)

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 at 2.30 PM*
Robinson Hall, Room 250
Joint Tufts/CfA/MIT Cosmology Seminar
Tufts University
"Strings in the Background"
Levon Pogosian
Simon Fraser University
*refreshments served at 2:00PM in Knipp Library, Room 251 http://www-ctp.mit.edu/cosmo.html

Friday, October 31, 2008, 3:00 PM
Nelson Auditorium, Anderson 112
Tufts University
Physics and Astronomy Colloquium
=93Gravitational Waves from Cosmological Sources=94
Xavier Siemens University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
In this talk I will discuss gravitational wave production by early universe sources. I will give an introduction to gravitational waves and describe how we may detect them using laser interferometers. I will also describe how we may detect gravitational waves using pulsars as very stable clocks--a technique known as pulsar timing. I will then discuss the gravitational waves produced by a network of cosmic strings, and other mechanisms for gravitational wave generation in the early universe.
Refreshments at 2:30 PM in Burden Lounge, Anderson 108