[Emeriti-faculty] [Fwd: Please circulate to faculty]

--- Begin Message ---
Dear All,

Prof. Brian McNamara will be giving our Nov. 7th colloquium.
He is professor, University Research Chair, and Graduate Officer
at the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of
Waterloo and at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics.

I list his abstract at the end of this note. It would be grand if you
are interested in meeting with him - even if it may be a little out
of your field.  He is very approachable and I think you will enjoy
his visit. Please let me know if and when you'd like to meet with
him so I can make a schedule for his visit.

Also, please let me know if you are willing/able to join us for
lunch and/or dinner.

Thanks a bunch!
Marianne

Speaker: Brian McNamara, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, University
of Waterloo and the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics.

Title: A New Spin on AGN Feedback in Clusters and Galaxies

Abstract:
The hot, gaseous atmospheres of galaxies and clusters of galaxies are
repositories for the energy output from active galactic nuclei (AGN)
over cosmic time.  X-ray observations are showing that star formation
fueled by gas condensing out of hot atmospheres is strongly suppressed
by AGN feedback.  Dubbed "radio mode" feedback, this mechanism
may solve several outstanding problems in astrophysics, including the
numbers of luminous galaxies and their colors, and the excess number of
hot baryons in the Universe. I present new evidence that the most energetic
AGN outbursts may be powered by rapidly-spinning, ultra-massive black
holes.

--
Prof. Marianne Vestergaard
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy