[Emeriti-faculty] Seminartomorrow - Wednesday, August 4, 2008

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to let you know of the upcoming seminar this week.

TITLE:             "PLASMID STRINGS"

SPEAKER:           ALBERTO IGLESIAS (UC DAVIS)

WHEN:              TUESDAY, AUGUST 5TH, 2:30 pm

WHERE:             250 ROBINSON HALL

ABSTRACT:

I'll introduce a particular class of fundamental string configurations
in the form of closed loops stabilized by their internal dynamics. I'll
describe their classical treatment and embedding in models of string
cosmology, presenting the quantum version and the semiclassical limit
that provides a microscopic description of a certain type of black rings.
Finally, I will conclude by showing the parametric matching between the
degeneracy of the string microstates and the entropy of the supergravity solution.

See you all there,

J.J.