(ET) OT: another small Apollo-era EV (Solo Electra)

Some chance of snow tonight, but I suspect the cloud cover will keep us warm enough to get a light rain instead.

As I'm waiting for parts for the E15, my thoughts today turned to another small vintage EV I have here. A 1974 Elec-trek (yes, with an 'e', not an 'a' as the last vowel) electric moped. These appeared starting in 1973 in Europe as the Solo Electra electric moped, but appeared under a number of different labels (Mars, Elec-Trek, possibly Katia, could have been others).

The pedals are functional for moving the bike, not vestigial like most of today's e-bikes.

Speed control is simpler than our ETs. 24-volt battery pack with power applied via a single contactor controlled by a simple on-off handle-bar switch.

Anyway, I finally figured out where the main positive-side power wire broke off from and that looks reparable. The extraneous small wires are likely about the charger circuit (charger not part of the package I received a few years ago. Batteries are at least 12 years old (lead-acid), but are recovering slowly with some charging cycles. I'll be adding a weather-covered charger connector - possibly even on the original frame point - for a new charger. Original connector is missing, I gather it was a weak point on the original design. I have a couple of poor pictures from the Interweeb, which look like a mutant RCA plug.

So, with a little luck and time, this one could be operational in time for snow season. My timing may be a little off on this project. <smile>

--
Darryl McMahon
Freelance Project Manager (sustainable systems)

Do not mistake patience for weakness, nor action for strategy.