Re: (ET) Alltrax and PTO

Hi,
After doing more digging I’ve come up with more questions than answers.
I’m seeing voltage to the frame along with voltage across the PTO. However
the current is so low that it won’t even light a 1.5V flashlight bulb.
Maybe its so trace that the meter is giving a bad reading (I can get low
volt readings just holding the leads in my two hands) but, I have tried a
second meter with similar results. Ames DM1000 (built by Mastech?) and an
old Radio Shack True RMS 22-174a. Let me also state that I’m no electrical
ace. No visible issues with the wiring.

As I mentioned at the start, the tractor seems to run fine - with the
exception of the power use meter readings that seem very high with lots of
needle movement. I don't believe the readings are accurate otherwise I
wouldn't be able to mow a 2-1/2 acre vineyard without running out of
juice. But maybe it's tied to the volt readings that I am seeing to the
PTO and chassis.

Here are some readings with the negative meter cable connected to the PTO
neg (angled connector nearest the timer).

Pos meter lead to Pos PTO
Main disconnect off and key off - 1.3V
Main disconnect off and key on - 1.22V
Main disconnect on and key off - 1.9V
Main disconnect on and key on - 1.9V

Pos meter lead to chassis
Main disconnect off and key off - 13.8V
Main disconnect off and key on - 13.8V
Main disconnect on and key off - 22.4V
Main disconnect on and key on - 22V

I got similar readings with all the fused pulled. One stranger thing is
that when I removed the blue wire on the rear pack for the lift, the 22V
chassis voltages rose to about 32V.

So thinking (or hoping!) that the volt readings are meaningless I started
doing some amp readings across the battery pack with the fuses back in.
.00 with main disconnect off
.02 with main disconnect on and key off
.12 with main disconnect on and key on
Don’t know if that is normal or not.

Then I purchased a Ames DC clamp meter (CM1000A) connected to the battery
cable which goes to the main disconnect) to measure load compared to power
use meter - the old style meter with just the single green, yellow, red
sections
.04 with main disconnect on and key off
.10 with main disconnect on and key on. Both of these are similar to the
one I took with my other meter above.
Transaxle in neutral, wide-open throttle - 14 amps - power use 1/3 into
the green
Transaxle in D2, wide-open throttle on level blacktop - 27 amps - power
use at the end of the green
Mower on, no drive - 20 amps - power use 5/8 into the green
Transaxle in D2, wide-open throttle on level blacktop with mower on - 46
amps - power use almost in the red.
Transaxle in D1, wide-open throttle and actual mowing - 55-65 amps - power
use at the end of the red to the needle being pinned to the right.
Again, I don’t know if these amp loads are normal or not but can mow a lot
of grass on a single charge.

It's "working” for now so I’ll probably hold off till winter to dissect
the wiring.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Take care,
Dean