(ET) Alltrax and PTO

Hi,
I’m hoping that one of you Alltrax guys can do a quick voltage check for
me. Let me give you a little background.

I converted my E16 to Alltrax in 2016. The tractor’s drive has always run
perfect and still does. Yesterday I was finishing the mowing a 2 acre
vineyard and turned off the mower while repositioning the tractor but it
failed to turn back on. I cycled the PTO switch a few times and then the
mower started. I mowed for about five minutes more and turned off the
deck. This time when I try to start it, it would not go at all. I noticed
that the PTO solenoid was very warm. I could touch it, but barely. Another
thing I noticed is that the main contractor for the Alltrax would cycle
when turning the PTO switch on and off (key was ON). Is that normal? I
never noticed it before but the tractor is typically already moving when
powering on attachments. I just assumed that I was hearing the PTO
solenoid.

The PTO would restart after a cool down. I assumed that the solenoid was
getting bad so I replaced with a spare that I had. It was was a used unit
that was about 3/8” shorter than the original but looked almost like new.
I checked it with an ohmmeter to make sure that the unit was cycling
correctly and that there were no shorts to the case. It all checked out so
I installed it in the tractor.

Then I did some voltage checks to test it all out before connecting the
mower back up and noticed something odd. With the PTO off (and even the
key in the Off position) there is between 5-9V between the 2 angled ports
on the PTO socket. Voltage is similar with the key on. Even with the main
disconnect open, there is about 5V that diminishes to zero in a minute or
so. My stock I-5 reads zero in these tests, as I assume that it should.

I know that the Alltrax has some caps in it and I’m wondering if this
voltage “leak” is coming from that. There is no voltage shown when the
mower is plugged in. Maybe its the norm? I don’t recall doing a similar
test when I originally installed the Alltrax so I can’t comment on that.

I'm hoping I can get some answers before I start tearing into all the
wiring. If one of you Alltrax guys could get back to me regarding the
following questions, it would be appreciated.

Key off, attachments disconnected. Do you see voltage across the 2 angled
ports in the socket?
Do you see diminishing voltage when the main disconnect is opened?
Key on, attachments disconnected. Can you feel the Alltrax main contractor
cycle when turning the PTO on and off?

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,

Dean Stuckmann