(ET) ET and a Redi-line inverter

I’ve got a decades old Redi-line rotary inverter, 120V, 1000W, that I’ve
used a few times with a car battery, for tools and lights, and it’s worked
well.  Uprooted tree from a storm the other night pulled the electric
service off the house wall, and wife wanted coffee in the morning so I ran
an extension cord from the Redi-line—attached to the front 2 batteries of
the ET—in to the kitchen and the coffee maker.  Power disconnect on the ET
was off.  She turned on the coffee maker and I hear shrieking from the
kitchen.  Strong smell of smoked electronics and the maker’s switch was
fused open.

Actually measured the voltage where I hooked up the Redi-line and it
measured 12V just like it should so I don’t think the ET was the problem.
I’ve been told that the Redi-line ac wave may have been too square, and
that fried the switch.  Does that make sense?

Thanks.

Thon