Re: (ET) How the E20 saved Christmas...

Chris, this is a great story. Beats mine from a power outage here a few years ago. Fortunately, it was in the cold-weather shoulder season, so we just avoided going to Level 2 measures, but had figured out what they would be to run the gas furnace and water heater.

For Level 1, we pulled the E12 into the garage, which was fully charged because that's the deal here with the plug-in and forget chargers I use.

We have a 1500-watt 12-volts DC in, mounted in our garage with wiring into the basement to support a couple of 120-volt outlets. These support 2 freezers and a refrigerator. Those, along with the refrigerator/freezer on the main floor are our priority electrical devices in the event of outages - typically a lot of food inventory in those. One of the outlets also supports a power bar, which allows plugging in up to 12 small chargers, mostly for portable lights and a radio.

Tapped the tractor pack for 12-volts to run the inverter, and all worked fine. After 12 hours, changed the tap point. After 24 hours, changed the tap point again. Power returned between 24 and 36 hours.

Once power was restored and local authority said the system was out of critical condition, recharged the tractor. Pack voltage was still above 36 volts when we started the recharge.

Today, we have a second ET in the fleet, so I reckon we could go days this way if necessary. I'll take the E12 with plow blade out this afternoon and once again recover a chunk of our street from the snow dumping we got and the city plows furrows which are about 4-5 feet from the actual edge of the road. At the other end of our street as we came in last night, there are now points where two trucks can't pass between the banks. And winter has barely begun here.

I really like my ETs, despite the fact that I abuse them.

Darryl