(ET) VDR-1

I was tracing wires from the CC relay on one my E-20 tractors (EC) I
unexpectedly discovered the VDR-1 is gone. One end of each soldered lead
is still soldered but the other end of each is "dangling" in mid-air with
the "body" of the varistor missing. 1. I found it on the Schematic and
Connection Diagram page 7-16 but have no clue what it is doing! What might
I expect to be a symptom of its absence?2. Where/how do I find a
replacement?  I would leave what is existing and solder the new leads to
the old existing ones. Is it directional? Jim shows a varistor in his
catalogue, haven't heard back from him. One other unrelated item. On the
same Schematic there is a drawing inset describing a modification issued
via letter on June 18, 1973 regarding adding a wire splice and a diode. I
am not savvy enough to be able to look at the tractor's wiring and
determine if the modification has been done. It appears to involve a
relocation of wire 41-01 but I can't figure out where to exactly. (Not
something easily described via email w/o drawings and/or photos.)
MIke