(ET) Major pack failure in BB600 NiCD pack last night.

Well, after 20 years of running my E20 on the NiCD batteries without an issue everything.... went... bad. I'd consider this a catastrophic failure and figured I'd write it down for posterity.

Symptoms:
Symptoms started on July 4th, after a night of fireworks I was driving the tractor back through the brush when the deck got hung up on a root. No biggie, I just needed to lift the deck. Lift went partially up, then hung up.

Lift was dead. Thought it was the fuse, abandoned tractor. Next day came out, got the deck over the root, drove it back to house. And the lift was *dead*. Over the next month I did troubleshooting, lift was fine, switch was fine, etc. Finally I settled on the wire back to the battery pack which was connected to the middle of the last battery block to provide 18 volts of lift voltage. Rather than get under and trace out the wire I hooked the lift's return to the middle of the front pack and abandoned the wire in place.

Mistake 1: The wire was not the problem, something was wrong in the pack.

Another issue is that if I left the tractor the pack would go dead. It would charge up, and run and drive, but would die after a day. Figured I had a parasitic load on the lift and put it down to something I would work on after my trip to Iceland last week. So I parked the tractor in the yard, turned off the main disconnect and left it.

Came back yesterday and needed the tractor to haul out junk. It was dead again, but I put it on the charger, charged it, then drove it out over a bouncy path. Voltages were all over the place which was odd and after a bit of driving I drove it back to the yard, put it on a 6 hour charge at 6pm with the timer, then went out for the evening.

Got call from wife at 6:30 pm saying my son noticed the charger was "very loud" and smoke was coming from the tractor. They unplugged it and I came home by 8 to disconnect the four packs.

Note: My E20 has a total of 120 BB600 cells. They are arranged in 4 packs of thirty wired in parallel at the string ends. Two sets of thirty are in the back of the tractor, one is in the front, and the last one is in a battery/tool box off the rear. There is also a 36 volt line from the batteries to the rear box (AMP disconnect) and an 18 volt tap for the rear lift.

When I got back last night I saw that the rear batteries were hot (bad) front ones were warm (bad) and the ones in the external box were warm-ish (not good). I disconnected one set of interconnects from each battery to ensure nothing could discharge into another pack, cooled it down with a hose, then left it for this morning.

This morning I checked the cells and they were in bad shape. I could see that a ground fault hit the rear pack in the center where the battery box had sagged down enough to make contact. Not good, I have a long standing ground fault in the drive motor that places the compound field in the armature as a ground fault location. It's not fatal (it just energizes the field, and pulls limited current) but it is there and I can't figure out how to fix it (pulled motor, it's in the large series field, not the shunt field). Anyway that probably drained 1/2 of the rear pack, and the rest of the batteries then discharged into that unbalanced fault.

However that was not the bad part. The bad part was the charger was merrily charging away. Now, the E20 charger goes to a max of 43 volts (tapered down current after 40 or so volts) which is less than the 1.5 volt peak charge of a BB600 NiCD. As a result the batteries are always a bit low but having that headroom keeps the batteries from every going into thermal runaway (once you go past 1.6 volts on a BB600 it will heat up, boil the water, then short as the polyethylene cell separator melts)

In this case, the short meant that 1/2 of the back pack was now essentially an 18 volt pack being fed by the charger with the only current limiting being the field (which can allow a number of amps through). Thus the cells got hot, boiled, and shorted. This then caused the other strings to feed their current through the last pack, damaging more cells in the process.

As of this morning I have a lot of cells with 0.0 volts. Putting a 3a current limited charger shows no volts and 3a current after 15 minutes which means the cells are shorted and bad. Great. What I can see is this.

String 1: Rear of rear battery box.
Left side 18v: All cells good. These were probably protected/shadowed by the short and thus didn't get overcharged. Great. Right side 18v: All cells but one dead. These were the main source of the steam/smoke I guess. The one cell that is not dead I need to check in more detail but it's probably damaged.

String 2: Front of rear battery box:
Left side 18v: 4 cells dead, all closest to the rear pack. One cell dead in each string. Odd.
Right side 18v: All cells dead again. Great.

String 3: Front of tractor.
First two cells in the string are shorted. I wonder if the charger was just chewing through the cells at this point, when one cell shorts the remaining cells get more voltage. As more cells short the remaining cells boil and are destroyed. Looks like it was caught before this happened.

String 4: Battery box.
All cells in the battery box were ok. One was a bit low (.8v) but is being charged up to match the others.

Thoughts in another post.

Chris