Re: (ET) Steering gear

Hi,
I didn’t even know about a stamped one. I’ll have to look closer at my
various machines but I think they are all cast.

Without seeing a stamped one I can’t really comment which is better but my
45 years in machining would lend me to believe that the cast one would be
better in this application. I’m guessing that the casting would be more
rigid which would minimize the skipping of teeth during heavy steering
inputs. That being said, if it’s too rigid, it could break…

My opinion is that more often than not, casting are replaced with
stampings as a cost savings measure, not product improvement. You could
see this in the front mower decks as well. The early decks had nice cast
aluminum brackets that held the caster wheel assemblies. Later ones would
be stamped and welded which were more prone to bending, which lends to
variations in deck height. And if the bend resulted in the caster pivot
shaft not being perfectly vertical, that corner of the deck will rise (or
fall) when making turns which results in uneven grass heights.

My 3 cents - inflation ya know!

Take care,
Dean