(ET) NiCD battery maintenance

So it's fall and I need to get the tractor ready for snow season. A few weeks ago I topped off the batteries (120 BB600 30ah cells in 4 strings) and this past weekend I noticed that the tractor had a high self-discharge. So I did a check of the battery cells.

First step was to charge then let it sit overnight. Then for each pack I checked banks of 7 cells in the front (plus the last 2) for voltage to see if they were different. Front cells were all good, read about 1.2 volts under an idle motor load.

Rear cells were different. Bank 1 (doing 5 cells at a time) looked balanced but bank 2 was off by a volt between 1/2 of the pack and the other. Checking strings of five I isolated it down to a single cell that was reading .8v when the others were at 1.2 or so. In the back box (one string of 30) I found another cell reading 0 volts.

Pulled those two cells, replaced with a spare pair at 1.1 volts and am letting the pack charge overnight. Hopefully that will fix the imbalance problem and boost the range. As for these cells I need to troubleshoot them, they look fine, no melting or other damage. Maybe I just need to wash them out completely and refill them with a 30% KOH solution to restore them to functional. Will try that over the winter.

The E15 was towed out of the weeds and I'm looking at it now. Have a new pack of 30 cells in it, but it does nothing. The fuse is good, and there is voltage on the tractor side of the disconnect so that's working. Might be a problem with the positive side, or the huge amount of mouse crap on Card 1 has shorted everything. Card 1 is out, I'll look it over.

(I replaced the edge connector with a nice big molex+soldered wires to the board. That edge connector is completely for the birds)