Re: (ET) Varistor keeps burning up

 Ben,
 Without thinking the whole thing through I did come up with a couple of
things to look at.
 The tractor will work fine without the varistor, it is hooked up so that
it is directly across the positive and negative voltage and is meant to
absorb voltage spikes. I think you are on to something when you realize
that there may be current flowing through the varistor and it is not meant
for that. Yes, there is a good chance that it was open all these years and
now since you replaced it the problems start. The 2nd thing is, is your
varistor rated properly?
 I never recommend mixing the old style and new style F/R contactors.
Unless you are on a strict budget I would suggest replacing the odd
contactor and then replacing all the suspect diodes and the varistor.
 Hope my ramblings are of some assistance.
 Sincerely,
 Harold Zimmerman
 Clean Power Supply
 Ephrata PA