Re: (ET) Why does our mower mulch better in reverse?

Well, I think one could reverse the arms and mounts and hook the deck up backwards. The problem is the roller bar would probably get bent when you hit the first pothole or small tree branch.

Mowing in reverse during leaf season seems to be the best way to go. Mow forward one row, back up for the row, then do the next one. Cuts down on the load as you're cutting in one direction, mulching in the other.

Still nothing beats the gas Craftsman tractor, bagger, and a pair of 55 gallon drum liners. Which of course has a dead starter gear again.

On 5/24/2019 1:44 PM, Hank Ralston wrote:
Mike,

I have the GE 3 half circle baffle installed including the plate. Village will not pick up grass cutting as each new residents finds out too late.

I see that there are some other mounting holes in the deck.  That is what we tried to use when I had a rear section added that really didn’t work well.   Agree with an earlier comment regarding caution about putting too much strain on the motors.  The appropriate way would be to find 3 more dish like housing to retrofit underneath.  My engineer schooling never took in the science, and even it did it would be 5 decades out of date.

We reasonably small lot, so reverse, as needed,  it will be.  Just need to tighten the steering.

Thanks,

Hank

*From:*Mike Finck via Elec-trak [mailto:elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu]
*Sent:* Thursday, May 23, 2019 1:50 PM
*To:* Elec-Trak Tractor <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>; Hank Ralston <Hank RalstonAgency com>
*Subject:* Re: (ET) Why does our mower mulch better in reverse?

Hank,

When you say "mulch insert" are you describing the blank plate covering the discharge? My only thought goes to the baffle system underneath. There are two baffles, one to be used for side discharge,(sort of blocks cut grass from blowing/moving towards the rear of the deck. The second baffle is for rear discharge and is mounted towards the front of the deck leaving the rear open towards the rear discharge. I imagine the "wrong" baffle might result in better mulching in reverse.

MIke