I also keep a small stock of armatures ready to go, but I'm no longer mowing with an ET. Time is critical with a 2 year old boy to chase around.

Good luck,

Chad

On Jun 12, 2018 9:13 PM, jlantonucci comcast net wrote:
Heat is the enemy of these motors. The main cause of excessive heat is bearing drag.  And you have to use good quality bearings to get any good life out of them.  When they get noisy, they need a rebuild.  You can't wait for them to fail.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device

------ Original message------
From: Chris Zach
Date: Tue, Jun 12, 2018 7:21 PM
Subject:(ET) Another mower motor blows.

Well, had the usual deck motor failure. This seems to happen every other year or so with tall thin motors:Mows fine one weekend.Start mower next weekend, tractor pulls huge amount of current. Blade is stopped.Blade free-wheels, wiring to motor is smoked.Take motor top off, commutator is burned, and armature is obviously shorted. Motor destroyed.Any idea why this happens? The inside of the motor was dry, no proble
 ms, plenty of brush. It's as if the laminates just decide to fail and burn everything up.Now to buy some more motors, my supply is low. This never happens to fat motors, they just have the magnets deglue and shatter all along the inside. Once again no reason, is there a glue that will hold them?C_______________________________________________Elec-trak mailing listElec-trak@cosmos.phy.tufts.eduhttps://cosmos.phy.tufts.edu/mailman/listinfo/elec-trak