Re: (ET) field weakening potentiometer with a Curtis 1204

On 21 Jun 2017 at 11:32, Robert Laird wrote:

>  If 1/30th of the resistor is 7.9 watts, then the entire resistor has
> to be around 237 watts.

I don't understand this at all.  Where on earth are you getting 237 watts?

Nothing like that is being dissipated anywhere in the example field
circuit.
No current is passing through the other 29/30 of the resistor.  It might
as
well not be there.

Even with no series resistance, the motor field itself was dissipating
only
72 watts.  And as you add resistance, the total power dissipated in the
circuit will fall.  So there's no way you can get to 237 watts.
(Actually,
there IS a way to get 237 watts on the field: raise the battery voltage to
65 volts and connect it right to the field. I don't recommend trying that,
however.)

> But when you first put the rheostat into the circuit, (the first
> click, or first turn on winding), it pretty much has to carry nearly
> the entire current of the field, since the resistance is still quite
> low at that point.

No.  First, that one turn is NOT carrying the full field current.  That's
the whole purpose of the series resistance, to REDUCE the current in the
field circuit.  As I said above, by Ohm's law, if the total circuit
resistance increases, the circuit current falls.  And remember, in a
series
circuit, the current is the same everywhere.

More importantly, on that "first click," the added series resistance is a
small fraction of the total circuit resistance.  Therefore the voltage
drop
across that resistance is a small fraction of the system voltage.  Since P
=
E * I (power = voltage times current), power dissipation in the added
series
resistance is a fraction of the full-field power.

Maybe you're still thinking of the series resistance as if it were the
entire load across the power supply (battery).  It's not.  It and the
motor
field IN SERIES form the load.  That changes everything.

Look at the calculations in my previous post again.  Run them for
yourself.
I think you'll see that there's no need to panic.  :-)

And if you don't see that, fine.  For your own ET, just use whatever power
rating your intuition suggests is necessary for the field rheostat.  You
can't harm anything except your wallet by absurdly oversizing the field
control.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA