Re: (ET) E-15 not getting out of first speed

Larry,

Ahhh, so presumably that is why so many people have fixed a similar issue
with completely different things - because the different versions of the
Elec-Trak control the progression through the speeds differently. On the
E-15, is there any step in the progression that is intentionally dependent
on the voltage across the motor (or measured somewhere else)?
    My understanding is that time delay circuits are the only thing
keeping contactors 1A and 2A from being given voltage to trigger (and
short across one of the big toaster oven resistors). From the schematics
in the service manual, it looks like terminal #11 is the ground side for
contactor 1A (which seems to be permanently tied), and either terminal #4
or terminal #10 is the one that provides 36 V to the contactor to cause it
to short across R1. I'm having trouble figuring out how card 1 controls
that though. Does moving the speed selector switch from first speed into
second speed result in 36 V going to terminal #10, and there is a time
delay circuit that delays that 36 V to getting to terminal #4 (and thus
triggering contactor 1A)? Looking at the wiring diagram (figure 4-2) it is
really hard to figure out what's going on between terminals #4 and #10,
especially since there are no ground or 36 V labels anywhere, or any
indication of which terminals are inputs from switches and which are
outputs.

    I've had issues with the time delay circuit in the past - primarily
with the time delay that's supposed to keep you from going instantly from
reverse to forward (so the time delay for reversing the direction of field
current), resulting in a big EMF welding the reversing relay shut.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael S. Briggs, PhD
UNH Physics Department