From: David Roden [mailto:etpost drmm net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 3:49 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) E-15 not getting out of first speed

The Landis algorithm is, in my view, kind of ... unorthodox.  It's like a
reversed hacked cycle-dropping algorithm.

The cycle dropping design is commonly used in low-end automatic car
chargers and in some cell-leveling BMSes for lithium batteries.

A cycle-dropping charger turns off at the battery's "full" voltage
(typically 2.35 - 2.5 vpc), and turns back on when the battery has fallen
some tens of mv per cell below that.  This is usually a matter of seconds.

It results in a similar cycling on and off, gradually more off than on, as
the battery charges.  You thus get a rather crude approximation of an IU
charge algorithm with an extremely coarse PWM.

One good thing about a cycle dropping charger: the upper voltage limit
ensures that it's hard to overcharge your battery, as long as you use it
within reasonable temperature ranges, and disconnect it when the "done"
light is on for long periods with just brief flashes.

It isn't an optimum charging algorithm, you almost never find temperature
compensation used in it, but it's cheap to implement and it's better than
nothing.  I give it a C+.

Mr Landis's algorithm has a lower limit, but no upper limit, only a fixed
length ON timer (5 minutes, IIRC).  The only real upper limit is the GE
charger's output voltage.  I've never seen his algorithm used in any
commercial charger.

With no upper voltage limit and no current regulation, I'd expect it to
overcharge rather than undercharge.  However, if the setpoint isn't
configured correctly on each charger (or, just as likely, is unstable and
drifts with time and/or temperature changes), the results are
unpredictable.

I should add here that Mr Landis and I have something of a long running
amiable feud on this list over the utility of his gadget.  I respect his
ambition and the thought that went into its development, but obvously I'm
a skeptic about the resulting product.  :-)

As I understand it, he designed it as a battery maintainer, not as a
charge controller for cyclic use.  However, my experience with batteries
has shown me that battery maintainers usually do more harm than good.

(More batteires die from overcharging than from undercharging. Almost all
battery maintainers overcharge.  When your ET is idle, wipe the tops of
the batteries clean.  Turn your normal charger on for a few minutes once
every month or two.  You'll be fine. No gadgets needed.)

If you want to take better care of your ET's batteries and get longer
cycle life from them, chuck the whole 40+ year old business and replace it
with a good quality modern lghtweight switchiing type 36v automatic golf
car charger.  (Or with an old but very good boat-anchor Lester Lestronic
or Lestronic II.)

PS - if you'd like to experiment with building your own cycle dropping ET
charger, here's a schematic of a 48 volt version you can try to adapt
(probably just change the transformer and tweak the value of R-4 and/or R-
6).  It was used by Sebring-Vanguard in the late Citicars.

http://www.evdl.org/docs/c_car_charger.jpg

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "etpost" address will not reach me.  To send me a
private message, please use the address shown at the bottom of this page :
http://www.evdl.org/help/ = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =