(ET) DC Shunt Question

I am looking for a bit of electrical engineering expertise this evening.
My son is converting the single 12 Volt battery on his camping trailer to
two 6 volt Trojan deep cycles like I have in my Elec Trak.  He purchased
one of those $8.00 China made hard wired digital volt meters to install to
see how much current draw he has while "primitive" camping before needing
to hook up to his generator for recharge.  There are four small wires
coming from the meter which he has fingered out. Now it's a matter of
where in line to place the shunt itself. His wiring diagram shows it in
line on the negative side. This probably is okay as far as the shunt is
concerned I'm just wondering because the shunt is rated at 6 VDC if he
will get erratic readings by placing it in the 12 VDC feed. Conversely if
placed it between the two battery's you would get readings from only one
battery if my thinking is correct. This sounds simple enough however today
I am confused.

Thanks,

Chris W.
Northwest Iowa