(ET) can't get out of first speed in D1

So, I thought I had this issue figured out. When I mowed several weeks ago, I couldn't get the tractor out of first speed - took a very long time to mow. It would go to the higher speeds when in neutral, but not while in gear (I only tried D1). I figured it was because I hadn't fully charged the battery pack, and the thermistors were keeping it from going to the higher speeds due to the voltage sagging from the higher current draw when in gear.

A couple weeks later, I mowed, the pack was fully charged, and it worked fine. Today I tried to mow with a fully charged pack, and it wouldn't get out of first speed while in D1 again. While in neutral it would. Seemed like maybe the thermistor issue, although surprising since the pack was charged. But then I put it in L1, and found that it would go to the higher speeds with no trouble. That has me confused. If it was a thermistor issue, then it shouldn't have gone into higher speeds while in L1. So, what's the deal? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Michael S. Briggs, PhD
UNH Physics Department