(ET) mower motor questions

I'm rebuilding a set of 3 tall skinny motors for a friend, and one of the short fat ones for myself.  I've been reading all the instructions and whatnot in the list archives and it's all been very helpful.

I have the "top hats" removed, and the armatures out.  I plan to order brushes and new gaskets from Harold.

The stupid little skinny screws that held the caps on the tall (3.5" dia) motors have sheared off in their holes.   I'm thinking I will not bother drilling and tapping them back out, instead I will replace the motor through-bolts with stainless all-thread and extend them up into the caps, in the same way that the fat (4.5" dia) motor caps are held on.  Has anyone else done this?

Everyone's recommending double rubber sealed bearings (2RS type) but those don't turn as freely as the original metal shielded bearings.  Since I need all the "umph" I can get to mow my thick sedges and crabgrass, I hate the idea of using power-stealing bearings.   Has anyone tried using bearings with rubber seals on only one side, and metal shields on the other (type RSZ)?

I have two motors where the commutator end bearing is pretty securely stuck in the brush holder assembly.  Any tips on how to get them out?

Thanks!
--Charlie