Re: (ET) Alternative controller (was Elec-trak Digest, Vol 14, Issue 113)

Does anyone have experience with regen braking and how effective it is on a 4QD?  I am always surprised that the controller can take back EMF that is below 36 volts and pump it back to the battery.

I have a Curtis 1204 that has been running fine for 10 years.  I set up a interposing relay from the control circuit to handle the field.  Years ago before the controller I set up a rheostat to provide field weakening.  I have a holding circuit and a button.  When I hit the button it connects the field weakening rheostat.  When you put the controls in neutral it automatically drops out so you do not forget and leave the weakening on.  It has been bullet proof.

Rob in NH

From: David Roden <etpost drmm net>
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:59 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) Alternative controller (was Elec-trak Digest, Vol 14, Issue 113)

On 30 Aug 2016 at 11:03, Robert Laird wrote:

> I have to disagree with your description of 4Q and 2Q controllers.  In
> short, 4Q controllers have dynamic braking.  2Q do do not.

Thanks for catching my mistake.  I misunderstood (or maybe misremembered)
the term four quadrant. Your link provides a pretty good clarification.

The online manual for the 4QD-200 controller explains that it "[gives]
control of the motor in all four 'quadrants' -- that is, forward and
reverse, acceleration and braking."  So I stand (actually, sit) corrected.

I still tend to prefer 4QD over Curtis for the previously stated reasons --
joystick f/r control, regen braking, UK manufacture.

Though I haven't had extensive experience with 4QD support, I've found them
to be more informative and helpful than Curtis.

When I called Curtis with a problem about 20 years ago, their answer was
"buy a new one."  They did offer me a modest "trade-in" discount if I
shipped the sick controller back to them.

So I still find 4QD worth looking at.  And in fact I own a 4QD that I bought
for my New Idea R36 a while back (ahem), but (ahem) have yet to get round to
installing.  (That's how I know something about 4QD support.  They answered
my questions and didn't go under the assumption that if I took the
controller apart I'd probably hurt myself AND the controller.)

But that's me.  Some of my priorities are a little ... different.  ;-) If
price is your primary consideration, and you don't mind doing some hardware
hacking, you probably want a Curtis.

If you have relatively little electronics background (meaning less than
mine, which is: I can follow a schematic and assemble fairly simple stuff,
and sometimes it even works ;-), the Alltrax is probably still your best
bet.  It's about as close as you'll get to a drop-in installation, and most
of the challenges are mechanical ones.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "etpost" address will not reach me.  To send