Re: (ET) Elec-trak Digest, Vol 14, Issue 109

On 27 Aug 2016 at 22:38, Christopher Zach wrote:

> Sure, but if you constantly go from forward to reverse you start burning
> up
> the contactors.

No, not at all.  If you're using an Alltrax (or almost any other
electronic
controller) you have only one contactor, a main one for master power.  All
the motor current is managed by the controller's silicon.

There's never any of the arcing that used to trash the reversing relay my
E15 used to have.  I sure don't miss those days.  I fitted the Alltrax at
least 10 years ago, and I haven't had to open any of the ET's access
panels
since.

To reverse the tractor, the controller silently and electronically
reverses
the field.  Everything is done under control of a microprocessor.  If you
reverse your ET with the "throttle" on (which I usually don't do), it
gently
reduces the armature and field current to zero, reverses the field, and
then
re-applies the previous armature and field current settings.  Basically,
it
does what you probably should have done yourself.  :-)

It also has a spooky "hill holding" function that will apply power to
actively hold the ET still when the potbox is at zero.  This makes me a
little more uneasy than the "active reversing" above, so I prefer using
the
good old fashioned mechanical brake.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA