(ET) getting anti-vibration rings onto underside of deck motors

So I finished putting my tractor back together, after rebuilding the motors, repainting, etc.. But, I ran into one snag. I couldn't get the anti-vibration rings to slide up the bottom of the motors to be able to mount them. They're just too tight. I tried lubing up the motor shell with some PB lubricant, but just couldn't get it to go on (I didn't want to beat on the thing with a hammer hard enough to damage it).

So for now I put everything back together without those extra rings. The deck motors are MUCH quieter now (fresh bearings, and I balanced the blades, two of which were way out of balance). But, I do get some vibration from the deck. So it would be really nice to be able to get those rings on there.

At this point I'm considering using an angle grinder to cut the rings in half (they already have a cut across one side, I'd just make a cut directly across from that). Then it would be really easy to put them on. But, each ring piece would then only be held on by two bolts, instead of the entire thing being held on by four. So it might not be quite as effective at reducing vibration.

Of course, it couldn't be any less effective than them NOT being on there at all (as is the current state). So, unless someone has a suggestion for a way to actually get those things on there without cutting them in half, I think that's where I'm headed.

Perhaps after cutting them in half and attaching them, I could spot weld them back together?

Oh, I got the seat safety switch working again.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael S. Briggs, PhD
UNH Physics Department