Re: (ET) 48 volts (was Curtis controller mod)

I know of someone who boosted his ET's battery to 48v back in the late
1990s
or early 2000s.  I seem to recall that he built his own armature
controller
and ran at full field (48v).

He did NOT, however, apply 48v to the mower motors or other attachments.
He
used a separate PWM controller to bring the voltage for the mower motors
and
other attachments down to the original 36v.

This guy is a pretty canny EE and I I assume he knew what he was doing in
not using 48v for the attachments.  So I think that would be an issue for
you.

Other thoughs:

First, I've also seen plenty of 36v lithium batteries on offer.  So you
could avoid the potential problem of overdriving the mower and other
attachments by getting a 36v battery instead.

Second, some of those cheap Ebay lithium batteries are outright garbage,
made with factory reject cells and/or cells recycled from old laptop
batteries.  Be careful.  Do some research on e-bike forums such as Endless
Sphere, where they know the good batteries from the junk.

FWIW, I have three lithium iron phosphate batteries made by Ping, two 24v
and one 36v.  Mine are 10ah, but they're available up to 30ah and up to
72v.

They're working very well for me and holding up nicely.  They come with a
fairly sophisticated BMS (battery management system) and a cheapish but
functional charger.  I can recommend them for any use where you don't
routinely and consistently exceed 2C (that is, for a 10ah battery, 20
amps).

They are not cheap, and the shipping from China adds significantly to the
price.  (Unlike some of the Ebay sellers they don't use slow boat
shipping.)
But after using them for some years now, I think they were worth the cost.

As long as you balance the tractor front to rear, I don't see why the
reduced weight would be a problem.  You might have less ground friction,
but
you're also moving less mass.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA