Re: (ET) Curtis controller mod - Field - Buck converter maybe

So, I think you are implying that a buck converter / SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) would be better than the load resistors, to drop the voltage into the field coils. Field current is not that high (I think - anyone know the rated range ?).

Ebay shows 200W DC-DC converter rated 15 Amps at 8 to 55V in and 1 to 36V out - continuously adjustable - for $10.35 and free shipping from Hong Kong.

I think the E-traks would want a unit rated 72V max in (due to surges & back EMF & etc) but maybe protection devices could be installed ahead of the buck converter, circuit wise.

As soon as I replace the FET's in the old, burned out Curtis Controller I have, I could try one.

John