Re: (ET) Elec-trak Digest, Vol 13, Issue 80

On 6 Jul 2015 at 8:41, Robert wrote:

> Are you sure they limit current by limiting wire size because that a
> dangerous thing. If more current runs through a wire than its specs,
> things
> start melting.

At lower speeds, big series power resistors limit the current.  But from
speed position #3 or #4 on up, there's really nothing except the wiring's
resistance to protect you and the tractor.

> You limit current with resistors or with modern electronics (PWM pulse
> width modulation) not with wire size.

Well, ETs aren't exactly modern.  ;-)

An EV friend of mine and sometime contributor here calls them "Apollo
era,"
which is accurate.

If you retrofit an ET with a modern PWM controller, you can replace the
wiring with larger cable and limit current the modern way.

However, a lot of ET owners like the fact that they can work on the old GE
contactor-series-resistance controllers at the component level.  Some of
them do seem to need a fair bit of work.  Mine certainly did, which is why
finally junked the GE controller and fitted a PWM.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA