RJ Kanary
ASE® Certified Master Automotive Technician, (Retired)

rjkanary consolidated net

On 2/2/2015 6:07 PM, David Brandt wrote:
Funny, I repaired a transaxle with leaking seals by replacing them, and it works perfectly (did before the repair, too).  Been using it over 3 years now, I think.

Obviously I can't vouch for the red one, since I never had it apart, but then it isn't like I'm trying to get any money for it, either.

David Brandt

From: RJ Kanary <rjkanary consolidated net>
To: David Brandt <ev_dave13 yahoo com>; "Elec >> et" <Elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) Transaxle

                  Not to rain on anyone's parade.. but when you see gear oil on the axle hub, the cause is DEEP inside. The actual seals are right on the differential side supports that fit partway inside the axle housings and part way in the case. The axle shaft seal and support 'o' rings are located there. When the Torrington® thrust bearing fails in that area, it wipes out the seal and '0'rings. :(

                 It also damages most of the surrounding machined areas in the process. { That includes the axle and the bearing support. } The axle bearing on the hub end of the axle is a shielded, not sealed bearing. This is why the damage INSIDE is evidenced on the OUTSIDE.There is not supposed to be any oil in the axle housings.

                   If repair is attempted, might I suggest replacing those Torringtons® with the thick thrust plates that Peerless used to use.There is not enough relative speed difference to justify the use of bearings there,especially with the amount of damage they cause when they FAIL. :(

RJ