(ET) Walking down memory lane on old stuff

On 6/16/2014 6:31 PM, Neil Dennis wrote:
Ain't it fun reminiscing, Max ?  PDP8's were the first computers we used
as work related controllers for testing ignition system stuff.  I
scrounged up Fortran for programming, yup, paper tape and teletype to
input code  - neat at that time. Remember the bit switch settings to
"boot" ??

That would be the RIM loader. Yep. You would use RIM to load the BIN loader which could then load just about anything. I have to get this 8/E running, so much simpler than an 8i it's amazing. I could probably key it in from memory on a rocker switch set 6014, 6011, 5357, 6016...

The real fun system though was the KA10 series of mainframes. The first 18 words of memory were the register, and they could be addressed *as* memory. Since they were bipolar flip flops, you would code your central subroutine in <18 words (36 bit words) and run in the registers instead of core. 10 times the speed :-)