Re: (ET) Controllers

The ET demographic never fails to delight.

I have my oldest brother's slide rule from his middle-school years. By the time I got to high school, TI had us all using calculators with those nice red seven-seg displays.

Now I'm a high school science teacher, and I have a 48" demonstrator sliderule, and an assortment of old student sliderules, and I always make a little time to show kids the power of a little ingenuity and a couple of sliding log scales. Every year there's a kid or two whose imagination gets caught by the things, and I give them ones to keep.

Have you all seen the Pickett slide rule iPad app? What a riot! Talk about an amalgam of digital and analog. There are at least three sliderule apps that I know of.

And if you haven't got a sliderule, but have a computer, check this guy's work:
http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/sim/

And let's here it for the PDP-8/I... paper tape and a Teletype on the school's 8 were my introduction to BASIC and the world of computing!

I wonder if GE knew that the ET would be the geek tractor of choice...

-Max