                  After decades in the automotive repair field one observation always rings true. It's all GOOD, until it BREAKS. :)

RJ

Luddite.

On 6/14/2014 10:00 AM, Robert wrote:
I'd have to see the failure rate statistics of modern controllers, I doubt well designed controllers have a significant failure rate. The simple fact is that mechanical devices can't hold up to solid state electronics. Mechanical failures still involve parts cost and waiting for replacement parts too. Also don't dismiss efficiency, that's run time and battery life and those batteries being charged by microcontroller circuits last longer and charge optimally as opposed to a mechanical timer that overcharges batteries with no current or voltage limit. The microcontrollers I use today have an MTBF of 100 years, by the way.

You drive a car everyday full of electronics, what fails? Mechanical parts, nine out of ten times. I used to work on fuel injection systems (Bosch L and K jetronic). K had a distribution pump that failed often, cost a bundle and couldn't compete with the efficiency of the L system run by an on board computer. In all the years I worked on those systems I never saw a computer failure, not once. Mechanical failures of injectors and distribution pumps, that was another story. Variations of the L system are still in use, the K is gone forever. Same thing with VCR's, CD players, etc.  When switch mode power supplies first started to come out in electronics in the mid 90's there were a lot of failures, there were circuit issues not being addressed, things like shoot through and spikes. Once we got that in control those things disappeared, the same type of circuits are in motor controllers too, I'm not seeing any significant failures today in SMPS or motor controllers.

Rob

-----Original Message----- From: RJ Kanary
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2014 8:44 AM
To: Robert ; et
Subject: Re: (ET) Controllers

            What about the cost of replacing the potted wonder when it
fails? Waiting for a replacement to arrive, plus the hole burned in your
wallet AGAIN just does not appeal to someone that spent nearly four
decades of actually repairing components and returning devices large and
small back to service.
            Increased efficiency does not mean very much when the
device is inoperative. :)  Especially when repairing the device in the
field was not a consideration.

RJ

Luddite.