Re: (ET) Thoughts on fixing a lawn sweeper

On 18 Nov 2013 at 22:34, CZ Unit wrote:

> It stinks at picking up leaves.

Agreed.  I got one some years back, hoping it would help cleanup here (we
have a lot of trees).

It wasn't much help.  For one thing, it filled up way too fast.  It might
have worked better if I'd mowed over the leaves more and chopped them up.

It also didn't do at all well over our rough ground.  And when I tried to
use it on the pasture, it ate up a bunch of vines and tried to commit
suicide, wrapping the vines round its brushes and bending the axle.  I
ordered a new axle from Bill Gunn, but never put it in.

Maybe I'll try it again someday, but the truth is that with the shape of
our
property, large tools such as leaf sweepers and vacuums aren't that useful

Nor are portable leaf blowers and vacuums.

In fact I've never found any leaf clearing method that works better here
than mowing the leaves into little mulchy pieces and raking them into big
trash cans.  The ET helps by hauling the trash cans up to the compost heap
next to the barn.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA